Fair Tips Bill: What could the new tipping legislation mean for operators?
Tipping in the UK is changing, and there is new tipping legislation close to approval this year.
The Fair Tips Bill, also known as the Employment (Allocation of Tips) Bill, is a piece of legislation aimed at ensuring that all tips and gratuities received by workers in the hospitality industry are distributed fairly and transparently. The bill, which is currently making its way through the UK Parliament, has the potential to have a significant impact on the way that tips are managed and distributed in the hospitality sector
So what is the fair tips bill?
One of the key aims of the Fair Tips Bill is to ensure that all workers in the hospitality industry receive a fair share of the tips that are earned, regardless of their role or position within the business. This is particularly important in the current economic climate, where many workers in the hospitality sector are struggling to make ends meet and are reliant on tips as a significant source of income.
So what are the rules for the new tipping legislation?
Well, nothing is set in stone just yet. The bill has passed through the House of Commons and on to the House of Lords, where (we hope) it’s likely to pass later this year.
But as it stands, here are the headlines:
- Tips received in a month, must be paid out by the end of the following month.
- Staff can request reports on their tips collected.
- Operators can no longer use the Tronc pot to pay for the Tronc system itself.
- It’s likely the government will determine what it means to be “fair”.
- Tribunals are able to make restitutions on tip issues.
- Distribution of the tips will be subject to a new code of practice, likely meaning that all tips can only be shared with those team members who work on-site as part of the customer experience.
We know this can seem daunting, but we’re here to help. We’d be happy to help guide you through how TiPJAR can support all of this new legislation.
Want to find out how we can help?
Book A Demo
Book a chat with us today and hear how TiPJAR® software can help your business grow!